The Hut or Watch-house in the Old Chapel Yard

Watch-house

“…six members of one family had struggled to this burying-ground, and literally entombed themselves in a small watch-house that was built for the shelter of those who were engaged in guarding against exhumation by the doctors, when more respect was paid to the dead than is at present the case.”

Illustrated London News, February 13, 1847

Advertisements